Although the SDCO is not a professional ensemble, members are nonetheless charged with upholding the orchestra’s high standards of artistry and citizenship, including:
- Full attendance at all rehearsals and performances
- Thorough preparation of parts in advance of the first rehearsal for each concert cycle
- Providing at least one month notice of any absence (barring serious illness or emergency)
- Arranging for a substitute player when absence is unavoidable. Whomever is assigned to a given concert is automatically part of the ‘sub list’ for that concert. Example–3 flutists are assigned to a given concert but only 2 play in any particular piece–the ‘extra’ player will automatically substitute if needed. When a PRINCIPAL player must be absent, the SECOND player should play principal for that rehearsal and a substitute found for the 2nd part. Please arrange for your substitute before contacting the music director regarding your unavoidable absence (again, at least one month in advance).
- Autonomous sectionals as needed
Members enjoy free access to music, study scores and recordings, and masterclasses with visiting guest artists.
Collegiate and high school musicians are welcome in the SDCO. However, those individuals participating in ‘home ensembles’ (high school or collegiate ensembles) or the SSYO must prioritize ‘home events’ over SDCO functions. Further, high school students must take part in their school orchestra/band program to be considered for SDCO membership (exceptions only where home ensemble membership is impossible).
Dress for all performances is ‘concert black’.
Members Only Access
Access to materials for members is available via:
Note: a password is required, available from the music director.